2021 Rosé of Pinot Noir, Santa Cruz Mountains

The first of my 2021 wines to be released, the ‘21 Rosé is a preview of the ridiculously good and unabashedly decadent 2021 vintage.

A long, mild growing season in 2021 allowed us to get full flavor development in the vineyards without high sugar content. For the rosé we direct pressed whole cluster David Bruce Selection clones from Split Rail vineyard and then supplemented with saignée from Lester Family, Saveria and Dalardi vineyards after 1-4 hours of skin contact.  She was fermented relatively cool in tanks and then aged in permeable tanks that allow for a small amount of passive oxigenation.  This tiny amount of oxygen during aging resulted in slightly rounder (decadent) edges in what is otherwise a delightfully zippy, acidic wine.  Pairs well with pesto, pork chops and... well... your front porch on a warm afternoon.

Hand harvested at 22.5 - 23.5º brix. Clones: Swan, 2A, Mt Eden, 667, 115, 122. Skin contact 1-4 hours on the saignée, with 1 being the majority. Aged on the lees in permeable tanks. No malolactic fermentation. Yeast: Native, M83. Alcohol 13.5%. 200 cases produced. 

Winemaking: Whole cluster direct pressed (about 25% of the lot). On the other 75%, saignée was performed after varying skin contact, with the juice being chilled to 40º for 2-4 days for clarification. Moved to room temp for native fermentation to begin. Some lots finished on the native yeast, some were inoculated at +/- 20º brix. Racked off heavy lees after 2 weeks for aging in FlexCube permeable tanks. Batonnage performed every 2 weeks for 2 months. Racked and crossflow filtered in February for bottling.

Accolades: Not yet submitted for review

In Stock
Add To Cart
SKU: 2021-ROSE
Wine Specs
Pinot Noir
Santa Cruz Mountains
Alcohol %