Every year we like to hold back a small amount of our Split Rail Chardonnay and ferment/age it in stainless steel, in an effort to showcase the true nature of mountainous Split Rail Vineyard’s minerality and floral/tropical aromas. The 2013 incarnation features hi-toned citrus, pineapple and bright acidity, with subtle savory notes from the vineyard’s signature stony minerality. Think brie and apples.
Extremely aromatic and food-friendly. Try it with Fuji apples & brie. Should age very gracefully. Serve chilled.
- Hand harvested 9/16/2013 at 25º brix.
- Destemmed and pressed to a 1000L stainless tank.
- Native fermentation to 20º brix, then inoculated with CY3079.
- Sur lie aged in tank.
- Racked once at bottling, then filtered for clarity.
- 60% malolactic fermentation.
- TA 7.2 g/L, pH 3.27.
- 14.1% ABV.
- Bottled June 1, 2014.
About the Vineyard
Split Rail vineyard lies on a mountaintop at 1700’ above the Monterey Bay in Corralitos, CA. Ocean breezes cool the vineyard at night, resulting in a very long growing season. The resulting wines are aromatic in the extreme, with clear minerality from the vineyard’s sandstone & limestone soils.