“Serious and meticulous, Benedetti is establishing himself as one of the rising stars of the Santa Cruz Mountains.” — Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
Want to start your own wine brand but don’t have the facility? Need help taking your wine’s quality to the next level? Do you have a backyard vineyard and want a barrel of wine made from it? We now offer custom crush and consulting services to select clients who are interested in producing high-quality wines:
Custom Crush + Consulting — $2400/ton
For clients who would like to launch a commercial brand. If you are serious about getting into the wine business and have some background in making your own wines but no place to do it, we will do the grunt work for you and produce commercially-viable high-quality wines for your new brand at our Aromas, CA facility (near Santa Cruz, Gilroy, Salinas and Monterey).
- You can have fruit delivered and receive finished wine with no involvement, or you can choose to provide crush instructions and participate in the process. But we do the work.
- 1.5 ton minimum (+/-75 cases).
- We provide some assistance with locating reliable vineyard sources, but it is assumed you will come with some sources of your own.
- We provide consultation with the aim of producing the best possible wine from your sources, including cooperage choices and all other winemaking decisions.
- Requires a Type 17/20 “custom crush” license from ABC (the simplest license to get).
Consulting – $1000/ton
If you’re a Pinot Noir or Chardonnay producer in need of a consulting winemaker to help take your wine to the next level, winemaker John Benedetti is happy to help. Consulting can be provided to wineries anywhere in California, Oregon, Washington or British Columbia. As part of a consulting agreement, John will visit your site and facility, get to know your wines and vineyards, and then come up with a plan of action for your harvest and production. Deliverables include:
- Coming up with detailed crush instructions for your harvest to be executed by staff at your facility.
- On-call “game day” decision making throughout harvest, elevage and bottling. Generally handled remotely via phone, Facetime or email.
- Assistance with marketing and promotion of your wines. John can be “invisible” (ie you’re the “winemaker”), or can be part of your marketing. Your call.
- Problem solving year-round.
For consulting agreements in Santa Cruz, Monterey, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Marin and Sonoma Counties there is a 10 ton minimum agreement. Outside that area, the minimum agreement is 20 tons plus room and board & airfare when visiting your facility.
Small Lot Production – $15/bottle (.5 to 1 ton)
So you have a vineyard on your property and need some wine made. Maybe a barrel for your family to share at the holidays, that kind of thing. If you bring us a full harvest bin or two (no more), we can turn it into a special wine for your family to share (not to sell!). You simply provide grapes and we’ll make you the best wine we can make. Simple as that.*
*this pricing assumes you don’t require 100% new French oak for the wine. For new French Oak the price is $20/bottle.
Why have us make your wine?
In our short history as a winery, we’ve had unusual success in creating critically-acclaimed wines. So there’s that. But, moreso, we love what we do and it shows in the wines we make. We have great relationships with our clients. Please feel free to contact us for a client list and some samples to try.
“When my husband, a winemaker for our small vineyard, passed away, my vineyard manager referred me to John. John is a winemaker who I trust with our award winning grapes. His expertise and knowledge during the making of wine for my relatives’ private label have been invaluable. John is professional, detailed-oriented, organized, and trust-worthy and he listens to and answers all our questions with care. I would highly recommend John to be your winemaker if you are seeking someone who will give you a high return on your investment.” –Cathy Rudolph, Milagro Vineyard